Undergraduate Nursing Student Scholarship 2018
(Deadline: January 31st, 2018)
A chapter of the American Assembly of Nursing, NYC Men in Nursing exists to promote and support men in nursing and to address health-related issues affecting men. In 2015 members of New York City (NYC) Men in Nursing established a scholarship fund to support nursing education, advance the profession of nursing for men, and to provide financial assistance to nursing students. Undergraduate Nursing student members of the NYC MIN are invited to apply for the two (2) scholarship awards of $500.00 each.
ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION CRITERIA
At the time of application, the applicant must be enrolled in a New York State approved accredited Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program leading to licensure as a Registered Nurse. Additionally, the applicant:
1. Male nursing student, enrolled in a New York State BSN Program
2. Must be a member of the NYC Men in Nursing Chapter with currently active paid student membership. To become a member please go to this link: http://groupspaces.com/NewYorkCityMenInNursing/public/pay/subscription/
3. Have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
4. Have not received a NYC Men in Nursing Student Scholarship in the past.
5. Have a signed letter of nomination or recommendation from nursing faculty, registered nurse, or advanced practice nurse which speaks to the applicant’s interest in supporting the growth of men in nursing or issues pertaining to men’s health.
6. Complete a 500-word essay that expresses the applicant’s interest in promoting men in nursing or addressing issues related to men’s health. In the essay, do not identify yourself or the school you attend. References are strongly recommended.
7. A transcript or an official letter from the school’s registrar’s office indicating current GPA.
8. A current nursing resume reflecting your progression toward RN licensure.
ESSAY FORMAT AND STYLE
1. The essay must be completed in the style established by the American Psychological Association 6th edition. Use Times Roman typeface only and a font size of 12 points.
2. Format documents using half-inch margins (top, left, and right) for all pages, using double spacing.
3. Consecutively number all pages in the top right-hand corner of each page.
4. References are not required but highly recommended; if used, it should be in APA format.
Documents are to be submitted electronically, with all attachments in one email. On the subject line please write: Scholarship. Send all documents (in Microsoft word or pdf) listed below to the Scholarship Chair, Daniel Cernivani at email@example.com.
1. Essay (500 words)
2. Unofficial transcript or official letter from the registrar stating current GPA.
3. Letter of nomination or recommendation.
4. Current nursing resume reflecting progression towards RN licensure.
5. Face sheet (a separate single-page) that contains:
• Top line: Scholarship Applicant
• First and last name
• Anticipated semester and year of graduation
• Mailing address
Deadline: All required materials must be submitted by January 31st, 2018. Any late submissions will not be accepted.
7. Applications must conform to all requirements for format, style, content, and length limitations. Only applications that conform to specifications and include the required documents will be reviewed.
1. The Scholarship chair will review all submission for completeness and conformity to the guidelines.
2. De-identified essays will be forwarded to the screening committee for blinded review and rating using a rubric.
3. The essay will be judged based on clarity, coherence, compelling narrative and compositional quality (e.g., APA formatting).
4. The Essay Review Committee is composed of Board Members of the NYC Men in Nursing and Committee Chairs.
5. Essays are considered privileged communication and are restricted to members of the Essay Review Committee.
6. The Essay reviewers will submit their rating to the scholarship chair within 2 weeks of the deadline. The scholarship chair will tally the scores and notify the scholarship recipients by email on Wednesday, February 21st.
7. The scholarship award check will be presented to the winner at the March chapter meeting (Date: TBA).
EXPECTATIONS FROM SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS
The scholarship winner must:
1. Maintain valid membership with the NYC MIN for at least one year from the time the scholarship was awarded.
2. Do a presentation on a topic of choice during one of the future monthly meetings post-award.
3. Attend the monthly meetings of the NYC MIN.